I love this prayer of St Francis as I slowly see the depth in it. I used to read it and be like "meh" but gradually it is sinking in and in particular the second half.
- Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
- Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
- Where there is injury, pardon.
- Where there is doubt, faith.
- Where there is despair, hope.
- Where there is darkness, light.
- Where there is sadness, joy.
- O Divine Master,
- grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
- to be understood, as to understand;
- to be loved, as to love.
- For it is in giving that we receive.
- It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
- and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
My problem is Im selfish and I want to be consoled, understood, and loved. by others even though as Teresa of Avila says "God alone suffices" which He does. He has everything Id ever need as He is Love etc itself yet I still feel the sting when other people dont treat me as I think they should. It is pride and I know it so to counter it I like this prayer of St Francis as well as the litany of humility found here
I also find images of the Passion helpful in remembering who needs to be consoled, understood, and loved first. Him. I mope over wounded pride yet He bore the sins of humanity and I think Im suffering most? Sheesh! I dont know how God puts up with us, or at least me.