Friday, June 22, 2012

What a Week

VEE:  This work week brought new changes to my job that require more of my already limited time, and if things get too tight for time I will have to ask my boss for an earlier start time.  At the same time that would mean I'd have to get up a bit earlier.  Also, I got in trouble at work for something that I did do but didn't know anything was wrong.  I can understand they need someone to blame it just sucks that I work hard, try my best and never see any rewards but only recognition if something goes wrong.  It's fine though because I am not my job and my job is not me, it is where I earn money to provide food, clothes and shelter but it isn't who I am.  TGIF!

DS:  Stick to it, things will get better.  When I started my job, things were tough.  I didn't quite understand the system, it took me a while to get into the groove of things.  At times, my work load was so overbearing, I would have stacks and stacks of paperwork to finish.  It was a thankless job, and I didn't receive any sort of consolation from the workplace, just more hardship.  I was having to go in on weekends to finish the jobs.  I rarely had time to do much of anything outside of the office that first year.  

In his encyclical, Laborem exercens, Pope John Paul II emphasized that work was initially given to man as a mark of his elevation above all creation.  Adam's "job" so to speak, was to be the ruler over all living things, in control of the earth's abundant gifts.  Once sin entered into the world, work became a  "announcement of death."  Work became a hardship.  Man must labor in order to survive.  "Cursed is the ground because of you; in toil you shall eat of it all the days of your life" (Gn 3:17)


As abysmal as that may seem, Pope John Paul reminds us that our labor has a deeper purpose.  It is the means for our daily sanctification:


Sweat and toil, which work necessarily involves the present condition of the human race, present the Christian and everyone who is called to follow Christ with the possibility of sharing lovingly in the work that Christ came to do.  This work of salvation came about through suffering and death on a Cross.  By enduring the toil of work in  union with Christ crucified for us, man in a way collaborates with the Son of God for the redemption of humanity.  He shows himself a true disciple of Christ by carrying the cross in his turn every day in the activity that he is called upon to perform.  


I know it can be difficult to remember this while you are breaking your back  at work and not have the satisfaction of appreciation for a job well done.  It will be better if you offered up your work to the Lord.  He sees what you do and appreciates your offering.  No one else matters.  That doesn't mean to not voice your protests over injustice and unfairness (Jesus does  not want you to be a doormat,) but, just realize that you will never receive that satisfaction of a job well done from mere men.  People are weak, and the work environment is never at peace.  Look towards Jesus in the midst of your labor and then you can breath a sigh of relief.


Vee:  St. Teresa of Avila said something like, "God can be found amidst the pots and pans."  Since she thought that up, I often remind her to get in there and help me!!!  Same goes for Miss "I will spend my heaven doing good on Earth."  I know she meant spiritual good but she can get in there and help me too!!!  I don't ask Aquinas for help because he would just eat everything ...


DS:   <_<


The best part of work is leaving, coming home, putting my feet up, and drinking a nice refreshing beer ...


Thank God its the weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Sis: This is the first time i am hearing of your Mom's illness and the suffering you and your family are enduring. Know i hold each and every one of you deeply and constantly in Prayer.

    Hang in there my friend. I love you. IT

    ReplyDelete