Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Teresa of the Andes Review part 3

VEE:  Ugh!  Will she hurry up and enter already!!  Shes not even a late vocation!  On the other hand I'm glad no one has ever done a miniseries on St Therese's life.

DS:  As Amanda commented earlier, the series is moving along very slooooooooooowly.  Yet, I find myself fascinated by the mannerisms of the victorian-aged Chileans.  I like the gowns, and their traditions, and the high society gatherings.  (Like I had mentioned before, this is like watching a religious version of "Downton Abbey.")  It may be a little long-winded, but there's something about it all that makes me want to keep watching.

We see more of a development in the storylines between characters:  Juanita's sisters and their own struggles, as well as Juanita's brothers and father.  In between the storylines, Juanita's spirituality is maturing.  She goes through what seems like the dark night of the soul, feeling absolutely abandoned by God when she has surrendered as much as she can give to him.  Even in that darkness, Juanita holds fast to the calling she feels she is receiving for Carmel.  We see her hesitate a little, and wonder if she is called to a different order.  We see her struggle, but at the last scene, she seems stronger than ever, even in the face of her "coming-out-to-society" luxury and the attention she receives from a good looking man. 

I think most tv/movie shows can never capture the spiritual angst/joy/hope/despair/fear/love one feels when struggling with a religious vocation.  You sense it a bit in this series, but it almost becomes tiresome.  Hearing Juanita say over and over again, "I don't know what is happening to me," makes me just want to bang my head against the wall...

Oh, and Vee, if they made a decent tv series on the Little Flower, I'd definitely watch!

VEE:  I dont know whats happening to me.


DS:  <_< Spoken like a true Carmelite, Vee...

VEE:  I guess Chile was so excited to have their very first saint that they may have gone overboard with her.  Therese on the other hand is one of tons of French saints, so she's not that important!


DS:  You know one Carmelite Saint, you know them all....  

VEE:  At least the Carmelites don't have to import saints from other orders to boost their numbers in litanies.  *cough Dominicans and Franciscans cough cough**


DS:  Get thee to a Carmel, Vee...quick...



No comments:

Post a Comment